Board of Directors Meeting Minutes March 21, 2011
Board of Directors (BOD) Meeting Minutes
March 21, 2011
Board Members in Attendance: Matt Parsons, Bob Young, Chuck Raisch, Ryan Blake, Bryon Farnsworth, Colleen Hackley, Kim Churches, Rebecca Hudson
Board Members Absent: Daniel Storch, Jennifer Crossett, Heather Day-Richter
Staff: Nancy James, RB Fast, Greg Jaworowski
- Parsons called the meeting to order at 6:04 PM
- Parsons took attendance and established quorum. Approval of the February 28, 2011 board meeting minutes was set in motion by Parsons, all in favor (8), all opposed (0), abstain (0), absent (3) – the February, 2011 minutes were approved.
2. Financials and Finance Committee Report
- Reviewed the financials with the board.
- Invoicing and accrual invoicing is being discussed.
- Current month vs Audit – difference year to date per the audit.
- Total loan amount dropped due to balloon payment.
- Negative equity has reduced.
- January payroll for winter break carried over into February thus the increased amount.
- Net income for February shows the positive trend.
3. Executive Director (ED) and Enrollment Report
- Budget town hall held on March 15th 2011.
- February 31st 2011 was the workbond deadline. MAC had 2,500 hours donated to MAC so far this school year!
- MAC is transitioning to an invoicing system in Quickbooks to correctly track all tuition payments.
- Summer planning is ongoing. Robin Hoch will be the full time coordinator.
- Moving up ceremony will continue and is being planned. Goal is to make it more meaningful.
- Re-contracting leads will begin in April and families will be done shortly after.
- HR work is being done to refine the lead evaluation and assistant evaluations tools.
- BOD discussions took place around transitions and timing of transitions.
4. Bylaws Discussion
- There is a need to refine bylaws to make them better. Potential updates include:
i. Officer voting – the current bylaws do not have a clear path forward when a BOD member who is an officer reaches their end of term and want to run for both BOD position and also for an officer position.
ii. Communication - Fixing how we deal with email communication, telephonic meeting and proxy voting.
iii. Committee membership – how to define committee members. Committees that function as part of the board need to be staffed by the board.
iv. Define or limit the number of nonparent board members that are allowed.
5. Final 2011 – 2012 Budget Review and Vote
- Approval of the 2011 – 2011 budget was set in motion by Young, all in favor (8), all opposed (0), abstain (0), absent (3) – the 2011 – 2012 budget was approved.
6. Committee Updates and Reports
- BOD Development – Created assessment of current BOD member skills. Will be used to determine what skills are needed during recruitment. Continue to send Kim names of people that you think would be good for the board.
- Fundraising – no updates.
- Strategic Planning – Rebecca and Colleen are stepping in to assist and get planning and surveys completed.
- Building Committee – Planning a presentation for April/May that will give an update of the committee’s activities and findings to date.
- PMAC – no updates.
- Gala – no updates.
7. Open Forum: Ideas/Suggestions for Improvements to MAC/BOD Policy
- Items discussed included: MAC closures, Early closures, Snow days, Holiday celebrations, Nap policies, Snacks and snack sharing, Anti bullying, Communication, Transition schedules, Timeliness of dropoff, Program change fees, Scholarships, BOD self assessments and one on one assessments by president
8. BOD Other Updates
- Parsons adjourned the meeting at 8:09 PM.