Board of Directors Meeting Minutes November 20, 2010
Board of Directors (BOD) Meeting Minutes
November 20, 2010
Board Members in Attendance: Matt Parsons, Bob Young, Jennifer Crossett, Chuck Raisch, Ryan Blake, Bryon Farnsworth, Heather Day-Richter, Daniel Storch, Kim Churches, Colleen Hackley, Rebecca Hudson
Board Members Absent: None
Staff: Nancy James
Guests: Lauren Andrews
- 1. Welcome
- Parsons called the meeting to order at 9:10 AM
- Introduction of Lauren Andrews – PMAC Committee Lead.
- Parsons took attendance and established quorum. Approval of the October 25, 2010 board meeting minutes was set in motion by Parsons, all in favor (11), all opposed (0), abstain (0), absent (0) - the October 25, 2010 minutes were approved with a few minor grammatical corrections.
- 2. Financials and Enrollment Report
- Farnsworth reviewed the October financials with the board. Operating revenue showed that MAC lost about $12,000 in the month of October mainly due to audit charges. Draft audit is complete and will be reviewed by the Finance Committee. A new accountant has been selected and MAC will migrate to the new company from Paragon. Adjustment to payroll – higher than planned budget for the month of October. Increase in payroll was due to some staffing requirements around licensing that requires the full teacher to student ratio be maintained in the room even when students are napping. The BOD expressed concern about the gap in budget. Nancy James to do a payroll analysis.
- Nancy James reviewed the October enrollment report. The enrollment numbers were slightly lower in toddler. 58 enrollments with budgeted number of 60. Primary has slots held on the report and will continue being held for the toddlers moving up. Will reduce as the year progresses.
- 3. Executive Director (ED) Report
- Nancy James reviewed the ED Report.
i. Grandpeople’s day was a great success. Already receiving donations.
ii. Final draft of audit is complete.
iii. Licensing report was provided to the BOD.
- There is one hardship appeal. “Material in primary is too small.” They are however, Montessori work materials. Worst case is that some material has to be put away until the children are older.
iv. Working with Fundraising to raise additional funds. The MAC Calendar is going to raise a small amount.
v. Shana is going to start reviewing some accounting information with the new accounting company.
vi. Nancy is planning to start formal observations of the MAC lead teachers.
vii. Budgeting cycle will be starting in the upcoming months.
viii. Work will soon start on the summer programming for Primary.
- 4. Donor Bill of Rights
- A Donor Bill of Rights is a statement to the ethical fundraising policies of a BOD or group. Given that MAC has fundraising activities in progress, the Donor Bill of Rights will be used as a policy. The intent is to convey MAC fundraising policies to the wider community.
- Approval of the Donor Bill or Rights for the BOD was set in motion by Parsons, all in favor (11), all opposed (0), abstain (0), absent (0) - the MAC BOD will utilize the Donor Bill of Rights.
- 5. Committee Updates and Reports
- BOD Development – first meeting most likely in Jan. Quarterly meetings to be scheduled after the initial meeting.
- Strategic Planning – established membership of the committee during the first meeting. Has held a focus group with the leads. #2 focus group will be the week of Nov 22. The committee is also doing some fact gathering of the student body and the parent body. The focus groups and fact gathering are meant to help us understand our customer base.
- Building Committee – 10-11 members. Exploring energy audits through Xcel, solar, and underused space at MAC to determine the best use of space. An insulation audit has been conducted. The committee is focused on collecting data at the moment. Square footage in regard to licensing is going to be examined. MAC Building is part of an application for a historic landmark in Curtis Park. Negative is that any changes to the outside (windows) needs approval if the building is included in the application. Positive is that there are grants available for being in a historic landmark.
i. Building committee needs to gather info and provide back to BOD so that the BOD can vote on the application to join the historic district.
- PMAC – meeting of PMAC leadership has been held. Explored mission, vision and objectives of the committee. Would like to ensure transparency, collaboration, unified communication. Other items: parent and staff education and enrichment, room parent best practice, what’s working, and what’s not. Need to define rules of engagement. PMAC leadership members are going to meet by end of year.
- Gala – Christina Montgomery is co-chair. The MAC Gala will be held Saturday February 12, 2011 at Mile High Station. Mile High Station has greatly reduced the rent for the venue. Committee members are working with vendors to get everything else setup. Sponsorship program will be part of the gala this year.
- Fundraising – Currently has two members. Would like more assistance from the board. Anyone interested in assisting should let Heather know. Grandpeople’s day was a great fundraising opportunity. Working on formal recognition for donations. Can provide paperwork for tax materials. Gift acceptance policy has been drafted.
- Executive Committee – Thank you for your donations! Dec board meeting is going to take place.
- 6. BOD Other Updates
- Entered Executive session
i. Nancy James discussed a MAC personnel matter with the BOD.
- Exited Executive session
- 7. Adjourn
- Parsons adjourned the meeting at 11:12 am.