Mission: To cultivate a learning environment in which students discover their potential to excel as individuals, contribute to their communities, and participate thoughtfully in the world we share.
Unique Position: An urban elementary school that blends Montessori instruction, language immersion, with Expeditionary experiences in partnership with the community.
What is Montessori Elementary?
- Children work individually and in small groups with complex math materials progressing when they are ready.
- Children work individually and in small groups on cultural research projects and presentations.
- Children work collaboratively on group projects involving the 5 great lessons: History of the Universe and Earth, History of Life, History of Humans, History of Language and History of Math.
- Teachers observe the children, children and teachers record their accomplishments, and facilitate their learning progress by helping children realize individual and classroom goals.
What is Experiential Elementary?
Learning is active: Students are scientists, urban planners, historians, and activists, investigating real community problems and collaborating with peers to develop creative, actionable solutions.
Learning is meaningful: Students apply their skills and knowledge to real-world issues and problems and make positive change in their communities. They see relevance in their learning and are motivated by understanding that learning has a purpose.
Learning is public: Through formal structures of presentation, exhibition, critique, and data analysis, students and teachers build a shared vision of pathways to achievement.
Learning is collaborative: Staff, students and families share rigorous expectations for quality work. Trust, respect, responsibility and joy in learning permeate the class culture.
How will the Spanish bilingual immersion work?
- One adult in each classroom will be a fluent Spanish speaker and speak exclusively Spanish when engaging with the children.
- The Immersion adult will also present lessons in Spanish as well as offer tips and tools to parents.
- Children will create a snack menu, order, shop, cook, and serve each other exclusively in Spanish!
Why come to Montessori Experiential Elementary at MAC?
- Your family will be supported by our community of teachers, administrators, parents and children who regularly come together for celebrations, education nights, and family gatherings.
- Currently Montessori elementary in Denver fails to incorporate the children’s need for learning beyond the classroom.
- Maria Montessori advocated for children in the Second Plane of Development to spend as much time as possible integrating their classroom learning with community experience.
- Children need to develop internal accountability and experiential education gives students the opportunity to engage in positive decision making through real world learning opportunities. Thus, creating authentic learners.
- Spanish Language immersion empowers students to have influential careers in the local, state, and international workforce.
- Research studies "show that learning a second language at an early age has a positive effect on intellectual growth and leaves students with more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and improved listening skills."¹
How Montessori Learning and Experiential Learning Balance One Another
What does the day look like?
- Mornings are a Montessori work cycle.
- Colorado educational standards will be achieved for each child and assessed through individual works samplings.
- Evidence of alignment to Common Core Standards will be available.
- Afternoons involve creating projects and going on expeditions.
- Children utilize expeditions and local parks for outside time.
- Expeditions are based around a unit of study being explored by the classroom group.
- Expeditions occur on Tuesday and Thursday.
- Art will include a Visiting Artist program.
- Artists share their medium with the children.
- Children explore the medium with guidance from the artist.
- Children create a collaborative project in the medium together.
- Music will include components of theatre.
- Children learn to read music, perform songs, perform spoken words, design and create costumes, as well as design and create sets.
- Children have an annual performance for the community.
- Language immersion is throughout the day.
- One adult in each classroom speaks Spanish exclusively.
- Students access local parks and a second floor gross motor space for physical education.
- Yoga instruction with a certified children’s yoga teacher happens weekly.
Why is our program so special?
- The combination of Montessori, Experiential, and Language Immersion does not exist anywhere in the US.
- MAC combines the best practices in education and will serve as a model for Elementary in Colorado and nationwide.
- Infant through Elementary in one building is very rare.
- This gives parents the possibility to have their child educated in a predictable and consistent environment.
- We will offer summer camps for all elementary students to complement our 12 month school year in the preschool program.
- A 12 month enrollment option for elementary students will support families with children in the preschool program.